Outstanding Federal house on Gentry Row, built circa 1784 by Captain John Harper. Once the home of Dr. Elijah Cullen Dick, who, along with Dr. Craik, attended George Washington on his deathbed. It was Dr. Elijah Dick who famously stopped the clock at Washington's death. The curved stone steps lead into the gracious entry hallway, which opens to the formal living room and dining rooms, separated by a gracious arch, each with wood burning fireplaces, and deeply articulated moldings. The dining room offers two china cabinets, each of which opens on hinges to reveal hidden storage. A full length glass door leads to the walled brick garden with whimsical fish pond. The eat in kitchen features Chinese red cabinets, custom ornamentation, stainless steel appliances and countertops, gas fireplace on raised hearth and French doors to the brick garden. Off the kitchen is a powder room, pantry, elevator and access to the "horse alley" leading to the street. On the second level, sunlight streams into the grand ballroom from the three windows across the front of the house, enhanced by a stately fireplace on the west wall. The library is paneled in original pine, while a discreet wet bar peaks out from behind folding doors on the way to the booklined passageway to the guest bedroom and bath above the kitchen. The third floor offers a sun drenched master bedroom with en suite bath and fireplace, as well as a third bedroom and hall bath. Down another passageway above the horse alley, there is a bright and sunny exercise/laundry room or playroom. The fourth floor opens to a fabulous bright and airy fourth bedroom, with arched faux stone feature, resembling a massive fireplace bracketing the bed in this room. There is a full bath on this level and steps leading to an attic for extra storage. There are four bedrooms and four and a half updated/renovated baths, elevator from the first floor to the second and third floor bedroom levels and heart pine floors throughout. The seven wood burning fireplaces are located in the living room, dining room, ballroom, library, master bedroom, second and third bedrooms. There is an additional gas fireplace in the kitchen, adding warmth and ambiance to the kitchen eat in area. There is a large basement accessed from the back of the stairs on the main level, with loads of storage and a wine cellar. The Dr. Dick house is an outstanding example of early Alexandria architecture, built to last for centuries and perhaps even more charming today than in the 1780's.
The listing content relating to real estate for sale on this web site is courtesy of MRIS. Listing information comes from various brokers who participate in the MRIS IDX.Properties listed with brokerage firms other than Northrop Realty: A Long & Foster Company are marked with the MRIS Logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers.The properties displayed may not be all the properties available. All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified.All listing information copyright MRIS 2020.
Listing information last updated on May 30th, 2020 at 7:35am EDT.